These days many magicians keep looking for easy to perform self-working magic props. They keep on buying most of the automatic magic props which hit the market. It is possible to be a good magician using only props along with good storytelling and showmanship skills. But it is not possible to be a great magician without being good at sleight of hand. A magician who is good at sleight of hand not only satisfy the people with entertainment but also satisfy himself with his skill. Following are some worthwhile reasons why you should practice and get good at sleight of hand.
1) You can truly perform impromptu magic tricks anytime anywhere
2) You can perform magic tricks with borrowed objects
3) At the end of sleight of hand magic trick, the magician is clean, spectators can verify everything
4) Sleight of hand is not easy to catch using eyes and logic
5) You need not buy expensive fancy props, so ultimately you save money
6) Because of fewer props, you can pack less, travel light and still play big in the show
7) Sleight of hand magic makes you look like real magician
8) Sleight of hand makes you respectable even in the magic fraternity
9) With original sleight of hand moves, even magicians won’t be able to catch you
10) A magic trick which is performed with original sleight of hand moves does not get copied easily unless you reveal the moves
11) Once you get good at particular sleight and stop performing it after few days, you will still be able to recall it quickly when required in the future.
12) With enough sleight of hand moves, you can repeat the magic trick without getting caught.
– Amit Kalantri (Magician & Mentalist)
Excellent list! How do you come up with such good lists?
Totally agree on all the above points. A magician with sleight-of-hand skill has so much more freedom than a magician who depends on gaffs, gimmicks, and all manner of prepared props. Of course there is a proper place for gimmicks, but the well-rounded magician must be outstanding at sleight-of-hand.