As a professional magician have the of knowledge maximum tricks possible but you need not practice all of them. Sensibly choose the effects which would suit the audience you going to perform for. As a magician, you may love particular magic trick but it may not necessarily impact the audience. A magic trick should be performed like a pro salesman sales the product.
1) Divide a magic routine into small pieces, practice in pieces and then integrate all pieces to practice full routine
2) Practice in front of mirror, be a spectator of your own performance
3) Record your practice videos, watch them and improve your sleights, script and voice tone
4) Practice with exact script/patter you are going to use
5) First practice the effect as performed by expert magicians and then practice your version
6) First decide if you really wish to learn a particular trick, then practice till perfection, do not leave the trick in a middle way because it taking a long time
7) First perform for family, then friends and then strangers
8) Practice in front of your magician friends, ask for their feedback
9) Wherever possible, in place of cell phone, hold the deck of cards in your hand, practice moves like palming, one hand cut etc
10) In place of carrying an empty hand, palm a coin, practice classic palm, finger palm, thumb palm etc
11) Practice when you cannot perform, for example, when traveling by train, flight or waiting at a restaurant or in public place
12) When practicing magic, stay focused- avoid cell phones, television, the presence of people around. Give quality time to your practice.
13) Do not buy a new magic trick or a prop unless you get good at the previous magic trick you bought
14) Get rid of the magic props you don’t need anymore, declutter your collection to save your time.
– Amit Kalantri (Magician and Mentalist)